Winter is going to be winter before you know it here in Texas! You might be thinking about how you can get the most out the season and find some enjoyable activities this upcoming season. How can you take advantage of the wonderful Texas winter weather? There are many fun activities you should explore this year, whether it is a twist on an old favorite or something you have never tried before.
While it does not get as cold in Texas as it does up north, unique and fun winter activities are in abundance – and the milder winters mean outdoor activities can continue even as up north outdoor activities become limited. Whether or not winter is a favorite season of yours, you can find plenty of very enjoyable activities to do here in Texas this winter season – from Christmas shopping to a winter picnic – and you are sure to find one or two (or five) activities that catch your eye.
Five Top Winter Activities in Texas
- Ice skating is at the top of the list when it comes to fun and memorable winter activities (especially with kids!), and just because the pond in your Texas backyard is very likely not going to freeze does not mean you can’t enjoy ice skating this winter! Head to a nearby indoor ice skating rink and let your inner child come alive – or better yet, bring the children in your life along and watch their eyes light up. It is sure to become an annual favorite.
- Take advantage of the gift of nice winter weather here in Texas and enjoy a wintertime walk! Grab your favorite coat, scarf, and boots and go take a leisurely, relaxing nature walk with a family member or a good friend. You will be glad you did, and there is nothing like a good walk in the brisk air to get in the winter spirit.
- This is another wonderful way to take advantage of the milder weather: spread a warm blanket and have a picnic! Pack some eggnog and apple pie and have a festive outdoor meal. A winter picnic is a fun way to not only get some fresh air but also have a different twist on a typical “warm weather” activity. It is a memorable and unique way to spend time outdoors with friends and family.
- Go Christmas shopping as a family (or with friends!). Extensive Memorial City Mall in Houston is a great option, as are The Shops at La Cantera in San Antonio, to name only two. Shop, laugh with your loved ones, grab a bite to eat, and check off Christmas shopping on your list of things you need to accomplish! When you make it an event, Christmas shopping is a fun, joyful, and bonding activity for family and friends – you might even end up making it a family tradition.
- Visit a Texas State Park! You can go camping at one of the beautiful Texas State Parks or just enjoy the wonder and glory of nature for the day. Not everyone gets the weather Texas does – and it is a great opportunity to observe the amazing birds that migrate through Texas in the wintertime. If you have children, this would be a good time to insert an educational moment and teach them about different bird species in a fun environment – and even if you don’t have children, it is a good opportunity for you to learn something new about the beautiful migrating birds!
Winter is a unique season, and you should fully enjoy what it brings to your life. So, go grab your family and friends and go make some lifelong memories! You are most certainly going to have a wonderful time and you just might make some new winter traditions. There’s nothing like a fun winter activity to spice up the shorter days of winter, and you are sure to find a new favorite – and you can customize for your personal preferences. Christmas shopping and ice skating this weekend, anyone? Add your own spin and remember: the most important thing is to have fun!