Fall is right around the corner, and you are lucky enough to live in the Carthage, Texas area. Why is it that even when we live in an area filled with great sights and experiences, we tend to go elsewhere looking for things to do and see? You don’t have to go far to make this an unforgettable autumn for you and your loved ones. Around Carthage, you can find something for everyone in your family – you don’t have to go far to make this fall the best one yet.
Top Five Things You Need to Explore This Fall in Carthage, Texas
- Martin Creek Lake State Park in Rusk County is the perfect place to take your loved ones for a fall picnic and nature walk! One of the nicest things about autumn is the cooler weather, and you don’t want to miss out on enjoying the fall colors with your family! Martin Creek Lake State Park is managed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department so it is very well-kept, and it has campsites in case you want to make it a weekend excursion with the family. You could even take your RV. After all, camping with an RV doesn’t have to be only for the summertime!
- Texas Country Music Hall of Fame is a wonderful place to explore this fall if you are fascinated by country music and the impact it has had in the past and present! The museum, located in Carthage, pays tribute to the Texans who have contributed to country music’s legacy. This is a great place to explore if you are a country music fan, and they have frequent showcases and events, so it is worth looking at their upcoming schedule.
- Spend a day at the Sammy Brown Library in Carthage. On a nippy fall day, what could be better than sitting down with a new book? You can get a library card for free at the Sammy Brown Library – and if you had a card years ago and lost it, they only charge two dollars to replace it! Spend hours reading and expanding your mind – you’ll be glad that you did.
- If you want something a little different and very unique, the Footprints In the Sand Monument in Carthage is a beautiful and serene place to relax and reflect. The stunning statue brings the famous poem to life, and it’s an experience you cannot get anywhere else – and it’s even better to visit in the fall, because then you don’t have to contend with the scorching heat of summer. While it may not be everyone’s cup of tea, it is a stop you definitely should consider making if you want a lovely, peaceful afternoon at a meaningful monument.
- Carthage’s Old Jail Museum is something you don’t want to miss out on! Their tributes to law enforcement officials is worth seeing, and they are now home to the Leila B. LaGrone Family History Center. They even have a scale model of a plane called “Via Panola Express,” a World War II plane named after Panola County. This is a great place to spend a fall day with friends and family, especially if you enjoy history. If you have kids, this is a very educational outing that packs a lot of good information in!
Bonus tip: go find a new favorite restaurant! After a day of exploring all that the Carthage area has to offer, grab a bite at one of the area’s best restaurants. There are so many to choose from, ranging from Sam’s Southern Eatery (wonderful comfort food) to The Jalapeno Tree (great Mexican dishes). No matter what you are in the mood for, you can find it in Carthage and Panola County.
You want to make some memories this fall, and fortunately for you, you don’t have to look far to find enjoyable activities when you live close to Carthage. East Texas has some truly amazing things to discover, and what better time than this upcoming fall season to find some new favorites? Life is a gift to be enjoyed, and there is every reason to go discover some new, fun activities this autumn. So what are you waiting for? Grab your family and friends and have an adventure. You can thank us later!