We all know what a crazy year this has been so far. This rollercoaster of ever-changing circumstances would drain even the most optimistic of us, so being intentional about having fun and relaxing is important for both you and your household. The good news is, Austin has some amazing things to do and beautiful places to explore – and you don’t have to go far from home to make lifelong memories.
While it may be a little more difficult to go out and about, you don’t have to let the uncertainty in the world keep you from living your life to the fullest right now. You aren’t going to get this time back, so making the most of every day is important. Most of us get so used to the amazing opportunities in our area that we stop actively seeking fun experiences close to home, which really is a shame, because Austin is teeming with beautiful experiences that are unique to the area. When you live in a place as amazing as Austin, you should enjoy it. Don’t take this wonderful place for granted when you can embrace the adventures that come your way.
Five Activities to Brighten Your Austin Summer
There are so many opportunities to get some fresh air and to have a mini, close-to-home adventure in the Austin area. Here are some ideas to get the ball rolling:
- Go for a bike ride or a relaxing walk on one of the trails around Lady Bird Lake. You can never get enough of nature, so what better way to embrace the summer than to bike or walk one of Austin’s exquisite trails? When you are fortunate enough to live in such a beautiful area, you have to make sure that you intentionally enjoy it.
- Go to a drive-in theater and spend some quality time as a family. This is an especially fun option if you haven’t been to see a drive-in movie in a while. Sometimes you just want something a little different – and going to a drive-in movie just might hit the spot. Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-in Cinema is a good option, as is Doc’s Drive In Theatre.
- Look out over our beautiful city from Mount Bonnell. It is hard to beat the views from atop Mount Bonnell, and sometimes standing above the city is just what you need to put everything into perspective. You can also look out over Lake Austin as well from Mount Bonnell – it is a wonderful view and a wonderful place to hike.
- Go to South Congress Avenue Bridge and watch the bats emerge around sunset. Getting to experience North America’s largest urban bat colony is something you can’t do just anywhere. If you haven’t had the chance to watch them in a while, take advantage of such a neat experience so close to home. It is well worth it.
- Have a picnic at your favorite park. Can’t go wrong with a classic! There is nothing quite like a picnic at your favorite Austin park, and if you have young kids, these are the memories they will remember for years to come. The scenery in the area is stunning, so commune with nature and spend time in the beauty of the Texas scenery.
Bonus idea: Texas Hill Country is a hop, skip and a jump away, so if you have a mind to, spend a day (or entire weekend) exploring the gorgeous region. There are so many beautiful places to hike and explore in Texas Hill Country, and you and your family can make some grand memories exploring the area together. Don’t take the beauty of the surrounding areas for granted; take the time to soak in what is right in front of you this summer.
Enjoying Your Summer In Austin, Texas
So, there you have it: some fun options to get your adventurous juices flowing close to home. Whether you do all of these activities or try just one or two, you can greatly benefit from drinking in the wonderful city of Austin and enjoying the city you call home. Here at Patterson Insurance, we know time spent intentionally is time spent well. We encourage you to enjoy the beautiful city of Austin, relax and rejuvenate in nature, and to spend quality time with your family. There is no time like the present, so make the most of every single day and enjoy the moment.